The Pikesburg Chronicles
The Only "Real" Magician
Demeanor: Bon Vivant
Strength 2, Dexterity (Nimble) 4, Stamina 2
Charisma 3, Manipulation (Deceiver) 4, Appearance 3
Perception 2, Intelligence 2, Wits 2
Alertness 2, Athletics 2, Awareness 2, Subterfuge 3
Drive 1, Firearms 1, Meditation 1, Melee 1, Performance (Legerdemain) 5, Stealth 3, Larceny (Locks) 4
Enigmas 2, Investigation 2, Technology 2, Science 1
Correspondence 3, Forces 3, Mind 1
Avatar 3, Resources 2, Contacts (Grace Jones) 1, Fame 2
Time Sense (1), Parlor Trick: Lit Cloves from Nowhere! (1)
Dark Secret (1), Obssession: Fractum Volatile (2), Addiction: Cloves (1), Deep Sleeper (1)
Static (Accurate) 1
Paradigm: Sees Forces as threads, Space as fabric, Mind as Knots
Foci: Forces: 2 silver rings; Space: Mobius strip bracelet; Mind: glasses
An Unremarkable Child
- Mother (Martha) was a homemaker, father (Harvey) was an accountant
- Not very academically or athletically successful
- Interest in illusions began with a magic set given to him on his 8th birthday
- Became somewhat obsessed with the magic set, practicing constantly
Birth of Mobius
- Began to hang out at “Misdirection and Obfuscation”, a large magic shop and gathering place for Pikesburg’s magician community
- Becomes something of the de-facto apprentice to everyone in the shop, helping out whenever they’ll let him
- Eventually begins to perform as a magician in his own right at 16
- Magician’s oath: “As a magician I promise never to reveal the secret of any illusion to a non-magician, unless that one swears to uphold the Magician’s Oath in turn. I promise never to perform any illusion for any non-magician without first practicing the effect until I can perform it well enough to maintain the illusion of magic.”
- Becomes so focused on his magic act that he begins to go exclusively by his stage name, Mobius
- Develops a hobby-ish interest with quantum mechanics. Swears that “there’s an excellent trick in there somewhere, I just have to find it” when asked.
A Power Awakens
- While searching for new tricks in “Misdirection and Obfuscation”, he finds a captivating book
- Bound in smooth black leather, iridescent green text on the cover labeling it the “Fractum Volatile”, the autobiography of a magician from some years ago, although when exactly the book was written was unclear. It claimed to detail the greatest magical effects that its author had ever created.
- When Mobius went to purchase the book, shop owner claimed that he had never seen the book before and that it wasn’t part of the shop’s stock. In asking around to the regulars, no one could remember ever seeing the book before.
- Begins to try to re-create the illusions from “Fractum Volatile”
- Can’t quite make anything from the book work, although everything seems to make sense on paper
- Becomes more and more focused on making “one of these damn gags work”
- Eventually begins to hallucinate while working with “Fractum Volatile”
- Sees a weave of threads surrounding and suffusing everything. The effect persists even through sleep.
- After ignoring it for a couple of days, Mobius finally decides to reach out and grab the threads. To his shock, this is completely successful.
- Through blind experimentation, he learns that the threads represent both force vectors and spacetime. Finally, all of his physics readings were becoming useful.
- With this newfound awareness of the “threads”, another attempt is made at the illusions of the “Fractum Volatile”. Success! Being able to see the forces at work and shape of the space, it was only a simple matter to shift things to make the illusions work
- Begins a detailed study of “Fractum Volatile” to figure out what has happened
- With “clearer” eyes, he’s able to piece together a little bit of information about rotes, consensual reality, and Paradox
- Begins to seek a more fundamental set of rules than consensual reality in the book. The logic runs that reality existed prior to the ability for humans to consent to any particular reality.
- One day, after returning from a gig, Mobius finds the “Fractum Volatile” gone without a trace
- No mundane break in, nor any sign of magical interaction that he could detect
- As time as passed, the details of the book have faded. In fact, even his notes about the text have become muddled and unclear
Mobius the Mage
- In the course of learning about his new powers, Mobius began to incorporate them into his act
- Stage magic becomes much easier when you really CAN pull a rabbit out of an empty hat
- Performs at one point for a departmental party at Hedera. Doesn’t take long for someone to suggest he “audit some classes”
- Introduced to the Traditions and the Chantry
- Politely deflects invitations to join any particular Tradition. He’s “interested, but just still not sure which one fits him best”.
- Still talks to all of them, for access to information about the “fundamental rules”